This delicious pizza crust took me by surprise. After trying with what seemed like hundreds of gluten-free recipes for pizza crust on the market and on Pintrest along with tons of other experiments in the kitchen just to find out that it either tasted like cardboard or crumbled in my hands after hours of work this crust was a heaven sent recipe that filled all my pizza craving desires. It was both crispy and pliable like a regular gluten filled dough and I am more then thrilled to be sharing it with you!
This recipe makes about two medium sized pizzas.
You will need:
- 2 cups of mashed sweet potato
- 1 1/2 of 1:1 ratio gluten free flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Start by peeling and boiling your potatoes until they are soft enough to mash. (Usually about 2-3 decent size potatoes will make 2 cups of mashed tater for your pizza)
- Once your potatoes are soft, drain and rinse them. Once they have cooled put them in a bowl with the other ingredients and knead until a dough forms. It should feel just like regular dough. Not sticky nor should it crumble. If it is sticky add more flour, if it is dry add a splash of water.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350/F.
- Take two large pieces of parchment paper. Lay one on the counter top. Take about half of the dough and lay it out on the parchment paper. Flatten it out a bit and place the other peice of parchment paper on top. Use a rolling pin to roll it out about 1cm thick.
- Remove the top parchment paper and carefully place the dough on a baking sheet (with the bottom parchment paper) and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. (Repeat with the second bit of dough if your making two pizzas. If not you can store this in the fridge or freezer for up to a week). While your dough cooks prepare your toppings.
- Remove the crust from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes. Carefully flip the crust over and spread your toppings on the pizza as desired.
- Once you have topped your pizza crust bake in the oven fo 18-20 minutes. (Depending on how many toppings you have added to your crust you may want to cook it for less time)
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!