I have already made a deliciously spicy Queso dip in the past that is both on the website and in the recipe book as a different version and they are all to write home about but as much as I used to love cheese I neede
d a delicious cheese sauce for my macaroni, broccoli and for my obsessive potato dipping! I was absolutely blown away when I was able to come up with this cheese recipe without using nutritional yeast as part of the ingredients to create the “cheesy” flavor. It is the most perfect flavored cheese for your sharp cheddar mac needs.
Plant Based Cheese Sauce
You will need:
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 1/3 cup of chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup-3/4 cup veggie broth
- 1/4 cup of cashews
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tsp tomato paste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cayenne pepper (optional for spicy dip)
- Start by dicing your potatoes and carrots and placing them in a medium sized pot with 1/2 cup of vegetable broth for steaming.
- Place the lid on the pot and turn to a medium heat. Let potatoes and carrots steam until soft. Be careful not to let all of the broth evaporate from the pot or your potatoes will burn.
- While your potatoes are steaming you can prepare your blender by adding in your cashews, turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, lemon juice, tomato paste, black pepper and cayenne pepper (if using).
- Once your potatoes and carrots are soft remove from the stove and put in the blender with 1/4 cup more of vegetable broth and blend until completely smooth. (Add more broth if needed). Taste and adjust flavors as needed. Serve on top of noodles or with your favorite seasoned potato fries.