There is a few reasons one might want to make their own window cleaners for the house.
- To reduce the chemical load in the house. We all know that cleaning products contain harsh chemicals that are no good for us and it is especially important if we have children in the house who like to get into cupboards.
- Reduce the waste and landfill. By making your own window cleaner and refilling a reusable bottle when your finished you can help to reduce the amount of cleaners you are buying over and over again.
- Eco-friendly. Oh yes, and lest not forget that everything that we spray into the environment has an effect on our surroundings. So to reduce the amount of chemicals used is to reduce the amount of earthly damage.
When many people think of home made cleaning products they tend to have this stigma that they wont work as good as the chemical filled ones. And in some instances that might be correct if your trying to compare bleach to lemon juice. When it comes to regular daily household cleaners such as window cleaner and table top cleaner we can help to reduce both waste and chemical load by using a safer alternative.
This recipe is super easy to make and I can assure you that it works wonderfully.
DIY Window Cleaner
You will need:
- Tall BPA-free Plastic Spray bottle or Glass spray bottle
- 1/4 cup of white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
- 1 TBSP Arrowroot Starch or Corn Starch
- 2 cups of distilled or bottled water
- 8-10 drops of lemongrass, lemon or tea tree essential oil
- Pour all of the ingredients into the spray bottle or into a glass container that would make it easy to pour into the spray bottle and shake well to mix.
- Spray on the glass surface that you want to clean and use a paper towel or rag to wipe.