Shampoo is all the controversy these days. Some people wash their hair every single day, others wash it every 3-4 days, but whatever the case in your preference we all use different shampoos and have a favorite conditioner that we use.
I have been making my own simple shampoo for the last two years. I have used nothing else but this recipe and have had dramatic results in change of my hair health. I used to dye my hair all the time. I used to use the black box dye and then I would bleach it the next month hoping for different colors. I used the cheapest most chemical laden shampoo and conditioner I could afford and I thought nothing of what I was both doing to my hair or my body.
A lot of our body and hair care products are full of harsh chemicals, parabens, sulfates, fragrances and alcohols. They fry our hair and make us have split ends and throw the chemical balance of our bodies out of control.
Since I have been using this shampoo recipe my hair has gotten so much softer, longer and healthier and I have no desire to use anything else. My husband used to have terrible dandruff and no longer has to deal with the struggle of dry itchy scalp due to the change in shampoo.
So let me share with you my recipe before I go on rambling for too long. There are a few ways that you can go about doing this so you can play around with the recipe below to create your own delicious smelling shampoo! But I am going to provide to you some information you might be interested in to help you decide what type of shampoo will work best for you.
Essential oils and herbs for dandruff:
- Rosemary oil or herb, Tea Tree oil, Lavender oil or herb, Clary sage oil, Patchouli oil or Ylang Ylang oil
Essential oils and Herbs for Lighter Hair and Natural Highlights
- Chamomile herb, Lemon Essential Oil, Lemon balm herb, Calendula herb, Comfrey herb
Essential Oils and Herbs for Long growth and Hair Health
- Rosemary oil or herb, Lavender oil or herb, Basil oil, Peppermint oil or herb
Essential oils or Herbs for Dark Hair
- Sage herb, Comfrey Herb, Rosemary Herb
Essential Oils or Herbs for dry hair
- Calendula herb, Marshmallow root herb, Nettle Leaf herb, Myrrh
Essential Oils or Herbs for Oily Hair
- Lemon oil, Rosemary Oil, Tea tree oil, Ylang Ylang oil, Patchouli Oil, Witch hazel bark herb, Rosemary leaf, Yarrow Leaf and flower
You will need:
- 12-16oz empty shampoo bottle ( I found mind on Amazon and Mountain Rose Herbs website)
- 1-2 ounces of herb blend of choice
- 1 1/4 cup of water (10oz)
- 4 ounces of liquid castile soap (I much prefer the Dr. Bronner’s unscented Castile soap)
- 20-30 drops of essential oils of choice
- Prepare your herbal infusion as a tea. Bring your water to a boil and let your herbs steep for about 15-20 minutes covered.
- After your herbs have steeped, strain them and let them cool.
- Slowly add in your castile soap to the herbal infusion.
- Mix in your essential oils and stir.
- Carefully pour into your storage bottle and shake well before using.
This shampoo will take some getting used to as it is not as thick as most store bought shampoos. However, the overall results and changes you will see overtime will outweigh the “weirdness”. You will grow into it (;
**It is normal to experience some oiliness at first when transitioning to a new shampoo. To combat this you can add any of the essential oils for oily hair and or use cornstarch or arrowroot powder as a natural dry shampoo. 🙂