Diaper rashes can really suck. It can always be a fight to try and figure out what is causing them and why your little one keeps getting them. It can be a long road but there is a lot to consider when your trying to find out what is causing your poor child’s bum to become red and itchy. Butt (haha) while your trying to find a solution there are a few things that can help to relieve your child of discomfort and itching.
I talk first about a few of these in my A Gentle Diaper Rash Cream: Without the chemicals article.
- Try no diaper time
- Try to switch to a diaper without chemicals
- If you use cloth diapers be sure your stripping them and not using harsh detergents
- Make sure your child doesn’t have an allergy even if your breastfeeding it can still affect them through mamas milk
There can be more reasons for diaper rash but those are the most common I found to cause diaper rashes. I have used this recipe for baby powder over and over again. When used along with the diaper rash cream it takes away the rash and redness within just 48 hours or so. It has never failed me and I can trust what is in the cream to help my child without side affect.
This recipe was inspired by a Rosemary Gladstar recipe so I must give thanks to her for inspiring me and teaching me everything I know about the beautiful herbal world I know and love today.
Herbal Baby Powder
You will need:
- 2 cup of arrowroot powder
- 1 cup of White Kaolin or Bentonite Clay
- 1/4 cup of Comfrey Root Powder
- 1/4 cup of Marshmallow Root Powder
- 1/8 cup of St John’s wort Powder
- 1/8 Cup of Lavender or Chamomile powder
- A few drops of Lavender oil for scent (Optional)
If you cannot find the powders to each of these herbs that is okay. I have taken the whole herb and used a blender or a spice grinder to fine grind them into a powder. After you grind them you can put them through a mesh strainer to remove any larger pieces.
What to do:
- First make any powders from the herb that you will need for the baby powder.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together all of the herbal powders and clays.
- If your using an essential oil you should put in just a few drops and whisk them around a few more times then cover the mixture with a cheesecloth or paper towel and let it sit for a couple of hours to let the oils dry. (Only if your using essential oil.)
- If your not using the essential oil you can freely bottle your baby powder into glass jars with shaker tops. ( I found mind on amazon.)
- Use when needed.