Are you looking to bake a delicious cake without all of the sugar? Of course most cakes are made with refined sugar but there are ways to have a delightfully delicious and moist chocolate cake that is just as sweet as those made with refined sugar without all of the guilt.
This chocolate cake was made for my husband on valentines day. Our most favorite candy bar before going vegan was the peanut butter cups, but with this delicious cake, we have no worries. He absolutely loved it!! And so did our son. It’s dark, rich, dense and chocolaty. Feel free to use the frosting recipe for your other desserts as well.
So here it is, enjoy this delicious cake for holidays, birthdays, special occasions or even if you just feel like its a good day for cake!
Our newest recipe for a fantastic dessert!
Vegan Dark Chocolate Cake
You will need:
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of peanut butter
- 1 cup of dairy free milk
- 1 cup of maple syrup
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup of cacao powder
- Two 8×8 round baking pans
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add in your flour, baking powder, cacao powder (make sure there are no chunks) and salt and whisk together. **If your cacao powder has chunks in it, just be sure to break them up before you add In your liquids.
- Next add in your peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract and plant based milk and stir all of your ingredients until completely mixed.
- Grab your pans and coat with a generous amount of coconut oil so that your cake does not stick.
- Split the batter between two 8×8 pans. Fill each cake pan half way with the batter (the cake will rise). **If you only have one 8×8 baking pan you can bake one at a time.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes, test with a knife and make sure it comes out dry.
- When your cake is finished, let it completely cool before removing from the pan.
- Once your cake is completely cooled, spread the middle layer of your frosting on one of the cakes and place the other 8×8 piece of cake on top of it. Continue to completely cover the cake with frosting and top with cacao chips or your favorite dairy free chocolate chips.
- You can place this cake in the fridge until ready to serve or serve within about a half hour as the coconut frosting gets soft in warm weather.
Vegan Peanut Butter Frosting
You will need:
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk refrigerated over night
- 1/3 cup of peanut butter
- 2-3 TBSP of maple syrup (desired sweetness)
- Remove your can of coconut milk from the fridge. Scoop out the separated fat from the coconut water in the can and put cream in a medium sized bowl. (You can do whatever you want with the coconut water.)
- Add in your peanut butter and maple syrup and use a hand mixer to whip.
- Whip until completely mixed and frosting is fluffy and spreadable.