It truly has been cold and gloomy the last couple of days. All I can think about is warm home made bread and a warm bowl of soup for dinner. And quite possibly a hot cup of tea. Lately I had the joy of warming up to a true childhood favorite. Vegetable soup.
I had come up with this recipe a few days ago on a whim to help get rid of some veggies in the fridge that I had leftover and it ended up being one of my favorite soups I have ever made. So I am going to share it with you in hopes that you can also enjoy it on a gloomy day for comfort. ❤
Hearty (Vegan) Vegetable Stew
What you will need:
- 4-5 large carrots Sliced (or chopped)
- 5 stalks of celery chopped
- 1 medium sized head of cauliflower, chopped
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1/4 of chopped parsley
- 4-6 leaves of chopped kale
- 5-7 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 28oz can of Organic crushed tomatoes (3 1/4 cup) (No sodium or sugar)
- 6 cups of broth (low sodium)
- 1 1/2 cups of green lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- Start by cutting up your carrots, celery, onion, and cauliflower, kale and parsley and adding to a large stock pot on medium heat with about a 1/4 cup of water to saute.
- Stir around the veggies the best that you can for about 3 minutes
- Mince or chop your garlic and add to the veggies and stir for another 2 minutes (If your pot is losing water or your veggies are sticking just add a little more water to stir and avoid sticking.)
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, broth, lentils, bay leaves, salt and pepper and place the lid on the pot.
- Bring the soup to a boil and then turn heat to low and let cook/simmer for about 30 minutes-45 minutes or until your veggies are tender and soft.
- Serve your soup with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!!